Covid-19 vaccine has become generally available. Beginning April 7th, everyone over 18 will be eligible. The Pfizer vaccine is available to anyone over 16. All vaccines are free of charge and no identification is necessary. The number of clinics is on the rise.
Below is a list of local resources providing vaccines (most require an appointment). Be aware that supplies may be intermittent, so keep checking.
If you need help booking an appointment, please contact Transylvania NAACP’s Vaccine Buddy line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you.
Transylvania County Department of Health: When vaccines are available, there will be a link on their TransylvaniaHealth.org website. The TEAM alerts will no longer be used to announce appointment availability as of Monday, April 5th. CLICK HERE to make an appointment request. The Transylvania Covid-19 Call Center will be available 7am to 7pm Monday – Friday.
Blue Ridge Community Health: Regularly offers vaccines in Brevard, Fletcher and Sylva. Sign up online for an appointment.
Ingles in Brevard: Appointments are available.
CVS: Appointments will be available in nearby communities.
WalMart: Appointments available in Pisgah and nearby communities.
Note: Vaccines are available at numerous locations in South Carolina, however traveling so far for the vaccine is not necessary.
“The Transylvania NAACP is very concerned with the threat of Covid in our community. Across the country people of color are dying three times faster than whites of Covid, partly due to underlying medical conditions, but also because people of color make up a disproportionate number of front-line workers, and risk exposure more than others.
More from the Board: We can be proud of these heroes, and we owe them our best efforts to help them contain the virus – by wearing a mask, social distancing, washing our hands, and by getting vaccinated.
- the Covid vaccines were developed by teams of researchers, doctors, and nurses of color, who stand behind it
- the trials which were performed, involving a total of more than 70,000 patients, included more than 10% of subjects from minority communities
- this included people with pre-existing conditions including sickle-cell anemia and diabetes, typically found in higher concentrations in African-Americans.”
Covid-19 Link Section
“The task force reviewed the clinical trial data in search of differences in health outcomes that would place the Black community at higher risk of unfavorable outcomes from the vaccine and determined the following:
– Ten percent of people who enrolled in both the Pfizer and Moderna clinical trials were Black, equaling more than 4,400 and 3,000 people, respectively.
– Both the percentage and number of Black people enrolled are sufficient to have confidence in health outcomes of the clinical trials.
– Persons receiving the vaccine were > 94% less likely to develop COVID-19 infection as compared to the placebo group.
– Efficacy and safety were observed and consistent across age, gender, race, ethnicity and adults over 65 years of age…”
To read the whole article, Click Here
* The National Medical Association (NMA) is the collective voice of African American physicians and the leading force for parity and justice in medicine and the elimination of disparities in health.
The National Medical Association (NMA) is the largest and oldest national organization representing African American physicians and their patients in the United States. The NMA is a 501(c) (3) national professional and scientific organization representing the interests of more than 50,000 African American physicians and the patients they serve. NMA is committed to improving the quality of health among minorities and disadvantaged people through its membership, professional development, community health education, advocacy, research and partnerships with federal and private agencies. Throughout its history the National Medical Association has focused primarily on health issues related to African Americans and medically underserved populations; however, its principles, goals, initiatives and philosophy encompass all ethnic groups.